^ Back to Top

Questions about medical needs

Will you give my child medicine?

Under the 2014 regulations for giving medicines, the school is able to give medicine if:

  • They are prescribed for the child
  • They are in the original container with the child’s name clearly shown
  • You sign our medicines form explaining clearly when the medicine should be taken and what the dose is.

However, we cannot give out any medicine containing asprin which is not individually prescribed.

My child has asthma. Can he bring his inhaler to school?

Yes. Please talk to his teacher about how bad his asthma is and when he should take it.

Are staff able to use an epi-pen in case my child has an allergic reaction?

Most staff have had epi-pen training from the school nursing service. However, if your child has a prescribed epi-pen we will organise retraining in order to refresh memories, include new staff and ensure that all staff who might come into contact with your child know how to use the epi-pen.

Can you help my child who has a medical diagnosis but no learning difficulty?

Yes, without doubt. The needs of the school population change year on year but there is generally at least one child in school with a medical condition. This might include epilepsy, haemophilia, juvenile arthritis, Asperger’s syndrome, cerebral palsy, paralysis, a physical difficulty, toileting problem or other medical diagnosis.

The most important thing is that you keep us informed about what your child’s health needs are and how we can meet them. If necessary, we will organise professionals to come into school and offer additional training to staff.

If your child needs help with toileting and personal care, we will ask you to sign an intimate care plan which will give details of the care they will receive.


My child has broken her leg and is in a wheelchair. Can she come into school?

Yes, in fact she should come to school because it is important that she should continue her education with as little disruption as possible. Our school is disability-friendly and has good access for children in wheelchairs.  We have a disabled toilet.

If your child needs help with toileting and personal care, we will ask you to sign an intimate care plan which will give details of the care she will receive.

How do you support children with mild hearing impairments?

We have access to a teacher for children with hearing impairments. With your permission, they will find out more about your child’s hearing loss from the clinic and use that information to give us advice. The advice may vary from being aware of where the child sits in class to the use of a ‘soundfield system’ which is an electronic device which ensures that there are no hearing ‘black spots’ in the classroom.

Which health services can the school refer to?

The school refers children to

  •  speech and language therapists for speech therapy
  • Occupational therapists for explorations into difficulties with fine and gross motor skill and for sensory integration assessments
  • school nurses for hearing tests, developmental support and any other developmental difficulties, including those concerned with puberty.

In general, it is better to access other services through your GP. Only children who are registered with an UK GP can access most NHS services.


Our aim in school is that no child should miss out because of health needs. Whether your child has simple needs or more complex needs. We work with healthcare experts, supported by our school nursing team, to enable us to meet all children’s needs. All schools are now required to have a member of staff who is qualified to take responsibility for giving medicines.

Can my asthmatic child keep his inhaler with him in school?

Inhalers belonging to younger children- particularly those who need a spacer- are generally kept and administered by the teacher who ensures that the child takes their inhalers before and after break times. If the teacher does look after inhalers, then mid-day supervisors and teaching assistants know where to find them in the classroom.

Older children are encouraged to take more responsibility for their own inhalers.

Are your school staff trained to use epi-pens?

Most staff have had epi-pen training at some point. However, if we know that a child in the class has an epi-pen then we will ensure current training for all staff who may be responsible for the child.

My child needs medicine for an infection. Will someone be able to give her the medicine in school?

As long as your child is well enough to be in school and has not got an infections illness, we can give prescribed medicines like antibiotics as long as they are sent to school in the original container and were clearly prescribed for your child.

The school will ask you to complete and sign a document indicating what medicine to give and how often to give it.

{sldier My child has a medical condition and needs regular medication. Can you give it in school?}

If your child needs regular medication, the school will draw up a care plan with you. This will give information about what medicine is needed, when, how much etc together with any other health interventions your child needs. The care plan will explain the procedures in school which will  support your child.

{sldier My child is catheterised. Will someone in school be able to help him?}

Yes, although initially the school may need time to take advice from health professionals and to train a member of staff to use the catheter.

The school will draw up a care plan with you and other health workers. This will give information about how often your child needs to be catheterised and what part they themselves can play in the process. The care plan will explain the procedures in school which will support your child.

How do you support children whose disability means they are not continent?

It is not uncommon for children to come to school needing support with toileting or changing. All schools have staff who are willing and prepared to change children.

Can my child go on school trips if they have to have daily medication, including invasive medication?

We believe in the importance of extra-curricular activities and aim for all children to be able to participate in all school activities. School trips are an integral part of the curriculum we offer. Your child’s care plan will need to be updated to explain to you, and to us, what would be required when they come on a school trip. We hope that you have the confidence in us to send your child on school trips.

My child has lots of absences because of her illnesses. How can you help her?

If your child is in hospital, she will receive support from the hospital teachers who will liaise with her class teacher to ensure that the work she is given is appropriate.

If your child is at home, we will try to send home work for your child to do. It won’t be the same work as other children do in school because your child won’t have received the teaching input, but it will be relevant and help her to keep up with her peers.

Can my child come to school no matter how ill he is?

No. The school has a duty to safeguard all of the children in our care. If the headteacher and governing body feel that your child is too ill and that his wellbeing would be at risk if he came to school, the school will ask you to keep your child a home.